Dawa, which derives from the Swahili word medicine, is a popular local drink that is said to ease any ailment. You’ll notice lots of locals enjoying this by the pools or relaxing by the beach to beat the heat and even sipping it down while chasing sunsets. Here’s how you can make your own dawa at home for your friends and family:
What you need
- 2-3 lime wedges
- Brown sugar
- Crushed ice
- 1 bottle soda water
- To serve it fancy, dip the rim of your glass in lime juice then immediately dip the same in brown sugar.
- In a short glass, add 2-3 lime wedges, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon honey
- Gently crush the lime wedges just enough to release some of the lime. (Do not over do it as this will lead to a bitter taste).
- Add crushed ice close to the brim of the glass
- Pour chilled soda water until it nearly covers the ice
- Top it off with a teaspoon of honey if you like it extra sweet.